People call me Kate.
Sometimes ‘Holks’. But never Katie.
I make marketing campaigns for a living. I think strategy can be sexy and words can be lethal, and combining them makes you a force to be reckoned with.
I believe the quickest way forward is in the arms of a women squad. I also believe that red wine looking like blood isn’t a coincidence.
I love salt, but dislike olives. I love words, but dislike talking. I love uncomfortable truths, but dislike admitting my mistakes.
I don’t want to talk about your ideas. I want to help you do them.
Here you'll find about 80% marketing advice, 24.54% irreverent ramblings, 18.08% (un)necessary commentary on influencers and a 100% stocked liquor cabinet.
(Maths isn't my strongest suit, but I was Dux of Psychology at my high school. So there's that.)
I don't smudge sage here.
Nor do I leave crystals out every full moon. Or add kale to my smoothies. I do however drink an espresso or 3 while I write and teach about marketing, especially influencer marketing.
10 years ago I graduated as an Occupational Therapist. I spent the next few years working in mental health (I didn’t get my Dux for nothing) before realising I needed a creative outlet for my own sanity. I launched a blog, became an ‘influencer’ before it even was a thing, and made a living off my writing. I was nominated for Kidspot Blog of the Year, I co-produced and starred in a pilot online TV show, I launched and relaunched multiple programs. I ran workshops in Melbourne, Byron Bay and Sydney. You name it, I’ve done it. And from doing absolutely everything and making it work, I learned A LOT about marketing. A LOT.
Then I decided to have kids so I took a step back and launched House of Sage as an Influencer Marketing Agency. I brokered deals for influencers with some big brands like Bugaboo, Westfield, Mecca Cosmetica, Tommee Tippee, Thank You Group and The Skincare Company. I coordinated campaigns for small businesses trying to break through the crowded social media world. I grew a database of over 3000 influencers called the Sage Network. And now, I have rekindled the blog to teach you how to do it all on your own too.
Now I still do all that. And still somehow keep the kids alive. Come on in, mind the lego.
I've worked with these guys:
A list that hopefully makes you like me.
- I’m not married. And have no plans to.
- I have 2 kids.
- That’s commitment enough.
- My hearing sucks. That’s what happens when you get meningitis at 10 months of age and almost fry your brain.
- I’m an excellent lip reader. You bet I’ll bust you lip syncing the wrong lyrics.
- I live in Torquay with Tim, our 2 kids and 2 dogs. The Great Ocean Road makes for an excellent drive when the kids refuse to sleep.
- Tim designed our house. He does that for a living.
- I get bored easily.
- Any UK crime drama is alright in my books.
- I wish Jack Reacher was real.
- If I hurt myself growing up, my mum would just treat me like one of her patients. She’s a vet.
- I once got told off by a netball umpire for ‘glaring’ at her. She threatened to send me off the court. Unfortunately, it seems this trait is the only thing my daughter inherited from me.
- Human behaviour fascinates me. Like, WHY DO WE ALL NOD AND LAUGH WHEN WE PRETEND TO HEAR OTHERS. I’m just glad I’m not the only one that does it.
- 8 is my favourite number. 3 is a close second.
- If you tell me your name, I won’t remember it. But if I read it, I’ll never forget it.
- Almond milk cappuccino please.
- Margarita, Espresso Martini and Pina Colada. Yum.
- I think all mums are superheroes.
- I also think all mums deserve a million bucks, a babysitter on call and a coffee machine.
- Parenting is hard.
- Maternity leave is hard.
- I hope we can meet one day.
- I hope you subscribe to the blog today.
- I hope you treat yourself everyday.
Let's get influential!
Hi! I’m Kate! This is my home where you’ll find about 80% marketing advice, 24.54% irreverent ramblings, 18.08% (un)necessary commentary on influencers and a 100% stocked liquor cabinet (yes, I passed Maths. Just).
Enter your email address and I’ll send you (un)solicited advice on influencer marketing and life every other week.